You can start your own team in your community! If you think this is something you'd be interested in, read on to find out how you can start raising money for orphans where you live. All you have to do is take a few simple steps to get started...
1. RECRUIT MEMBERS - The first thing you have to do is recruit members. If you're going to have a team, you obviously will need people. Search for active youth in your community or any of your friends who might want to join you. You could even start off with just you and your siblings. It's okay if you start off small. After others see how much fun you're having, they'll want to join, too! If you would like to have member registration forms, you can request for them through the "Contact Us" page. We already made the forms, so we can easily send them to you to make it easier for you to get started!
2. HAVE A LOCATION - You will need a place for your members to gather together and have regular meetings. We encourage you to meet together at least once a week. Some teams have met in masjids and Islamic community centers. You could also meet at members' homes, alternating between houses each week.
3. CHOOSE ROLES - Every member should have a specific role based on what he/she is able to commit to the project. This is a very important part of making a team because this allows all members to feel part of something and have responsibility. It also takes off the burden from just one member and divides up the jobs among all members. You can request for a list of descriptions of all the roles we came up with through the "Contact Us" page.
4. MAKE A GOAL - Right from the beginning you should have a goal. Maybe you'd like to start by trying to raise money for two orphans. If you're more daring or think you're up for a bigger challenge, make your goal five or ten orphans. A goal ahead of you helps a lot.
5. MAKE AN EMAIL GROUP - Now that everyone has their own role, you are almost ready to start raising money. To keep in contact with all the members, it's a great idea to start a Google or Yahoo email group. This way, each member can send an email to the whole team easily. We have found this to be a great way of communication.
6. GET THE WORD OUT - Start telling others about your team. Tell your parents or any members who have Facebook accounts to make announcements about your team. Tell all the members to email/call their relatives and family friends to ask for donations for sponsoring orphans. Create and pass out flyers at local restaurants, masjids, schools, and other places where many people go regularly. You can also make videos to tell others about the 99 Orphans Project. That way, people will know that you are doing something to raise money and will be more willing to donate.
7. CREATE EVENTS - Create events that you think will attract people to donate money. Bake sales are great ways to raise money. People love to eat cupcakes and brownies and will often be willing to pay a few dollars for the treats, especially because it is going to a good cause. Think of other ideas to raise money and try them out. See what other teams have done for more ideas.
8. SEND THE MONEY - Once you have raised a great amount of money, you should send it in to Zakat Foundation as soon as possible so it can get to the orphans quickly. Contact us through the "Contact Us" page to ask how to send in your money.
We can't wait for you to join us so hurry up and start your team!